Job no: 492650
Work type: Staff Full-time
Location: South Hadley, MA
Categories: Dining Services
Position Type: Staff Full-time
Hours per week: 40
Weeks per year: 33
Work Schedule: Various Shifts
Core Job Duties and Responsibilities:
Works under the supervision of the Assistant Director of Culinary operations, Production Manager & Dining Managers. Assists in the oversight of all aspects of proper and safe food preparation and handling, proper sanitation procedures, proper receiving and storage procedures. Abides by and enforces the rules and regulations of the department and BOH.
- Sets up, prepares, garnishes, and replenishes all items in their respective stations, to include beverage area if part of their station.
- Insures all food labels and menu signage are in place and accurate before each meal.
- Maintains food & beverage supplies for all meals.
- Uses standardized recipes in the preparation of food. May prepare vegetables & cook pasta for use in soups, casseroles, etc.
- Responsible for recording and accuracy of Time & Temp logs and service records Compliant in accuracy of records/system for any future implementation of dining programs Assists in and uses proper procedures for receiving and storing orders.
- Refrigerates and / or stores all food left at the end of the meal following proper food storage and handling procedures.
- Maintains clean and orderly work area and keeps utensils and equipment clean and in good working order. Station should be free of debris and sanitized at all times.
- Responsible for preparing and recording amounts of food as designated by computer production sheets.
- Changes out utensils often and ensures there is no cross contamination of any kind.
- May assist with weekly inventory if needed.
- Keeps red & green sanitation buckets at the station following proper procedure.
- Provides direction to student staff and maintains a high level of professionalism.
- Must be able to take direction from supervisors, managers and directors.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
- Must have a minimum of 1 year experience in preparation of food in quantity in a college or high volume, quality restaurant.
- Must have general knowledge of food and operation of kitchen equipment.
- Must have good communication skills, both written and orally, with a sound understanding of the English language.
- Must be able to pass a physical examination without restrictions.
- Customer Service: Maintains an extraordinarily positive attitude in dealing with student and public.
Must be able to give direction and instruct others.
- Willingness to participate in a Serv Safe class to obtain Food Protection Manager Certification is required.
- Must be cooperative and willing to work with others.
- Must be neat in appearance and work habits, and must comply with safety and sanitation regulations as prescribed by law.
- Must comply with proper dress code as designated by Department.
Preferred Qualifications: License/Certifications:
- Serv Safe class to obtain Food Protection Manager Certification is required.
Routinely lifts/moves an average of 30 pounds. May occasionally lift 50 pounds.
Lifting: 30%– 50% of time at work (could require bending and twisting).
Pans of product, replenishing / storing product, preparing recipes (requires lifting cases of product).
Ability to carry product a distance.
Setting up, replenishing serving lines requires lots of walking/carrying to services lines or storing/retrieving product in refrigerated or dry storage areas, the distance of approximately 25 feet or more. Most shifts span 2 meal periods.
Overhead lifting: 10% or more.
Storing or removing product or equipment from shelves.
Routinely on your feet throughout an 8 hour shift (could also be working alone during part of shift).
Requires lots of walking to service lines, the distance of approximately 25 feet.
Floor surface is quarry tile and is non-giving.
Walking up and down stairs when retrieving product from storerooms and entering and exiting the building.
Works around slippery surfaces due to spills, dropped foods, trips to dishroom and pot sink to get equipment cleaned.
Potential hazardous areas of concern and exposure to equipment – uses or works near all of the following to prepare and serve food:
Heavy and large pots, pans
Sharp edges from open cans
Works around tables with corners
Mount Holyoke College is committed to providing a safe and secure environment, supported by qualified
employees that will allow all of its students, faculty, staff and those associated with them to successfully
carry out the mission of the college. As a condition of employment, the College will conduct appropriate
background checks for all new hires. Mount Holyoke has designated the Office of Human Resources as
the office responsible for ensuring that background checks (CORI, SORI, Credit History, & Driver
Credential) are completed and utilized in the hiring process and Five College Office of Compliance and
Risk Management as the office responsible for facilitating background checks as articulated in this policy.
Special Instructions for Applicants:
Apply online by application deadline. Application materials must include 1) a cover letter summarizing
interests and qualifications, 2) a complete resume or curriculum vitae, and 3) contact information for 3
Mount Holyoke College is a women’s college that is gender diverse. The College is committed to providing equal access and opportunity in employment and education to all employees and students. In compliance with state and federal law, Mount Holyoke College does not discriminate on the basis of race, ethnicity, color, genetic information, sex, national or ethnic origin, religion, age, physical or mental disability, marital status, sexual orientation, pregnancy, gender identity or expression, ancestry, veteran or military status, or any other legally protected status under federal, state or local law. The College does not discriminate on the basis of gender in the recruitment and admission of students to its graduate program.
Mount Holyoke College is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Advertised: Eastern Daylight Time
Back to search results Apply now Refer a friend