Position Type: Staff Full-time
Hours per week: 40
Weeks per year: 33
Work Schedule: Various Shifts
Core Job Duties and Responsibilities:
- This position reports directly to the Dishroom Steward Supervisor. In addition, reports to the Assistant Directors, Production Manager and Dining Managers.
- Operates and maintains dish machine according to proper procedures.
- Works in Pot sink cleaning pots and Pans.
- Responsible for recording and accuracy of Time & Temp logs along with proper PH balance of sanitizers in pot sinks and dish machine.
- Washes all pots, pans and utensils, cleans up the dish return area, dining rooms and service areas following proper health and sanitation practices.
- Wipes down and washes all tables and chairs as needed, mops floors between meal periods or as needed, empties trash and compost in proper receptacles.
- Must be able to work with others, including students, as well as work alone without supervision. Assists in supervision and training of student workers.
- Responsible for emptying grease trap catch screens and keeping them clean.
- Responsible for checking and changing out “bag in box” bibs when needed.
- Oversees cleanliness of the dehydrator room.
- Keeps all work areas clean, free of debris and sanitized at all times.
- Maintains the flow of dishes, silverware, pots, pans so they don’t get backed up causing a pile up.
- At times, will provide direction to student staff and needs to maintain a high level of professionalism.
- Delivers clean dishes, pots and pans back to their designated areas.
- Assists in putting away food orders and deliveries as needed.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
- Must have good communication skills, both written and orally, with a sound understanding of the English language.
- Must have general knowledge of food and operation of kitchen/dish room equipment.
- Must be able to pass a physical examination without restrictions.
- Must be able to lift/move an average of 50 pounds without restrictions.
- Willingness to participate in a ServSafe class to obtain Food Protection Manager Certification is required.
- Customer Service: Maintains an extraordinarily positive attitude in dealing with students and the public.
- Must be cooperative and willing to work with others.
- Must be able to give direction and instruct others.
- Must be neat in appearance and work habits, and must comply with safety and sanitation regulations as prescribed by law.
- Must comply with proper dress code as designated by the Department.
Routinely lifts/moves an average of 30 pounds. May occasionally lift 50 pounds.
Lifting: 30%– 50% of time at work (could require bending and twisting).
Pans of product, replenishing / storing product, preparing recipes (requires lifting cases of product).
Ability to carry product a distance.
Setting up, replenishing serving lines requires lots of walking/carrying to services lines or storing/retrieving product in refrigerated or dry storage areas, the distance of approximately 25 feet or more. Most shifts span 2 meal periods.
Overhead lifting: 10% or more.
Storing or removing product or equipment from shelves.
Routinely on your feet throughout an 8 hour shift (could also be working alone during part of shift).
Requires lots of walking to service lines, the distance of approximately 25 feet.
Floor surface is quarry tile and is non-giving.
Walking up and down stairs when retrieving product from storerooms and entering and exiting the building.
Works around slippery surfaces due to spills, dropped foods, trips to dishroom and pot sink to get equipment cleaned.
Potential hazardous areas of concern and exposure to equipment – uses or works near all of the following to prepare and serve food:
Heavy and large pots, pans
Sharp edges from open cans
Works around tables with corners
Mount Holyoke College is committed to providing a safe and secure environment, supported by qualified
employees that will allow all of its students, faculty, staff and those associated with them to successfully
carry out the mission of the college. As a condition of employment, the College will conduct appropriate
background checks for all new hires. Mount Holyoke has designated the Office of Human Resources as
the office responsible for ensuring that background checks (CORI, SORI, Credit History, & Driver
Credential) are completed and utilized in the hiring process and Five College Office of Compliance and
Risk Management as the office responsible for facilitating background checks as articulated in this policy.
Special Instructions for Applicants:
Apply online by application deadline. Application materials must include 1) a cover letter summarizing
interests and qualifications, 2) a complete resume or curriculum vitae, and 3) contact information for 3
Mount Holyoke College is a women’s college that is gender diverse. The College is committed to providing equal access and opportunity in employment and education to all employees and students. In compliance with state and federal law, Mount Holyoke College does not discriminate on the basis of race, ethnicity, color, genetic information, sex, national or ethnic origin, religion, age, physical or mental disability, marital status, sexual orientation, pregnancy, gender identity or expression, ancestry, veteran or military status, or any other legally protected status under federal, state or local law. The College does not discriminate on the basis of gender in the recruitment and admission of students to its graduate program.
Mount Holyoke College is an Equal Opportunity Employer.