Position Type: Staff Full-time
Hours per week: 37.5
Weeks per year: 52
Work Schedule: 8:30-5:00
Department Summary & Job Purpose:
The College is seeking a Senior Researcher to join the College Relations team. Reporting to the Director of Prospect Research and Management, the Senior Researcher will provide the groundwork for the College Relations team’s activities by supporting a prospect management system as well as identifying, researching, and analyzing potential individual sources of financial support. The ideal candidate will have at least five years of experience and a proven ability to work strategically and effectively in a higher educational environment.
Core Job Duties and Responsibilities:
- Conduct proactive and reactive prospect research, to evaluate the financial capabilities of new prospects and existing donors and to analyze prospect and donor gift potential, readiness to give, special interests, and connections to MHC. Recommend strategies for engaging and inspiring prospective donors.
- Provide analysis, including data visualizations, of constituent data and portfolios to support prospect identification, prospect management projects, and portfolio review.
- Maintain liaison relationships with a team of assigned frontline fundraisers to meet their prospect management needs, through regular portfolio review meetings and ad hoc research.
- Write briefings and profiles on qualified prospects in support of Presidential, VP, and other fundraiser-led meetings and events.
- Collaborate with the Director to evaluate available research tools and vendors.
- Assist the Director as needed. Examples include addressing urgent requests to ensure timely response and participating in projects such as campaign planning and documentation of departmental policy and procedure.
• Bachelor's degree and three years of relevant experience.
• Proven skills in proactive and reactive research and prospect management.
• Excellent verbal and written communications skills, with a particular focus on presenting research analysis to non-researchers.
• Proven ability to effectively collaborate with a range of professionals including frontline fundraisers, development leadership, and data services colleagues.
• Experience working with a relational database as well as Microsoft Office products, including Word and Excel.
• Ability to establish priorities with high degree of independence.
• Exceptional organizational skills and ability to manage multiple time-sensitive projects under pressure.
• Ability to be flexible, resourceful, thorough, accurate, detail-oriented, and to thrive in a fast-paced environment.
• Ability to work collegially and collaboratively on a team.
• Ability to handle highly confidential material with discretion.
Physical Demands: Sedentary work: Exerting up to 10 pounds of force occasionally and/or negligible amount of force frequently or constantly to lift, carry, push, pull or otherwise move objects. Sedentary work involves sitting most of the time. Jobs are sedentary if walking and standing are required only occasionally and all other sedentary criteria are met.
The employee is required to have close visual acuity to perform an activity such as: preparing and analyzing data and figures; transcribing; viewing a computer terminal; and extensive reading.
Employee operates office equipment and computers to perform essential duties and responsibilities.
Mount Holyoke College is committed to providing a safe and secure environment, supported by qualified
employees that will allow all of its students, faculty, staff and those associated with them to successfully
carry out the mission of the college. As a condition of employment, the College will conduct appropriate
background checks for all new hires. Mount Holyoke has designated the Office of Human Resources as
the office responsible for ensuring that background checks (CORI, SORI, Credit History, & Driver
Credential) are completed and utilized in the hiring process and Five College Office of Compliance and
Risk Management as the office responsible for facilitating background checks as articulated in this policy.
Special Instructions for Applicants:
Apply online by application deadline. Application materials must include 1) a cover letter summarizing
interests and qualifications, 2) a complete resume or curriculum vitae, and 3) contact information for 3
Mount Holyoke College is a women’s college that is gender diverse. The College is committed to providing equal access and opportunity in employment and education to all employees and students. In compliance with state and federal law, Mount Holyoke College does not discriminate on the basis of race, ethnicity, color, genetic information, sex, national or ethnic origin, religion, age, physical or mental disability, marital status, sexual orientation, pregnancy, gender identity or expression, ancestry, veteran or military status, or any other legally protected status under federal, state or local law. The College does not discriminate on the basis of gender in the recruitment and admission of students to its graduate program.
Mount Holyoke College is an Equal Opportunity Employer.