Position Type: Staff Full-time
Hours per week: 37.5
Weeks per year: 52
Work Schedule: Monday - Friday
Department Summary & Job Purpose:
The Sr Associate Director of SFS for Student Accounts serves in a leadership role and is responsible for providing support for the strategic goals of Mount Holyoke College and specifically the Student Financial Services department. Reporting to the Executive Director of Student Financial Services, the Sr Associate Director of SFS for Student Accounts joins a dynamic Student Financial Services team responsible for managing financial aid, billing, educational financing programs and other related services for prospective and current Mount Holyoke College students, and institutional loan borrowers
Core Job Duties and Responsibilities:
Student Accounts Management
- Manage and administer the student accounts billing and collections program.
- Maintain the college billing calendar, payment policies and services.
- Identify opportunities for service and process improvements.
- In partnership with the college controller, ensure appropriate accounting and cash controls and compliance with Title IV financial aid cash management and disbursement regulations.
- Ensure compliance with federal regulations related to financial records privacy and security
- If credit reporting is used in the collections process, maintain oversight as institutional representative for data accuracy and regulatory compliance.
- Responsible for annual 1098-T reporting
- Manage the health insurance billing and waiver program.
- Maintain process for validating and authorizing credit balance refunds.
- Review past due accounts for outreach, and collection activity in accordance with college policy.
- Produce quarterly, semester and annual reports for divisional review.
- Communicate with and respond to requests from auditors and prepare related records
- With the departmental technical and operations staff, maximize the use of Colleague and Touchnet functionality. Participate in evaluation of systems requirements, including process reimagining and redesign for billing and payment services.
- Work with students, parents and guardians using discretion and judgment to maintain positive relationships and maximize retention of students
- With SFS and Student Life (Be Well and Community and Belonging) colleagues develop a program or identify resources to deliver comprehensive financial literacy workshops for students
- Partner with academic deans and student life staff to expand shared case management and align the student financial support model with curricular and co-curricular support model.
- Manage and maintain positive vendor relationships for collections services, insurance programs, tax reporting and any new student finance programs or services. Ensure vendor practices meet institutional performance expectations.
- Develop and deliver a communication plan for student accounts receivable that promotes relationship building and student success
- Maintain all policy and process documentation for student account receivable, billing, and institutional loan programs.
- Participate in industry training and professional associations in order to remain current on policy, practice and related regulation
- Trains, supervises and evaluates the performance of assigned staff
- Identify reporting needs for operational program management, forecasting and assessment.
- Partner with departmental and institutional research colleagues to complete federal compliance, COFHE, NCAA and other annual reports and surveys including NACUBO benchmarking studies.
- Work with departmental and institutional data and business intelligence staff to compile data for program analytics and reporting.
- Participation in departmental, divisional or institutional committees or workgroups as assigned.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Occasional evening or weekend work may be required.
Qualifications: • Bachelors degree and seven years’ experience in accounting or accounts receivable/billing systems and customer service
• Comprehensive knowledge of credit and collection principles, processes, regulations and best practice standards required.
• Understanding of 1098T tax reporting regulations or other equivalent experience with tax reporting requirements.
• Demonstrated ability to use judgment and initiative to complete assigned tasks independently.
• Demonstrated ability to prioritize workload, manage multiple tasks, and consistently meet deadlines.
• Supervisory and management strength and experience:
o Proven positive, open, inclusive approach to staff and team management for success
o Patient and understanding with a sense of humor in a fast-paced, hardworking, student focused environment
o Respect for individual strengths and ideas, with an emphasis on training and professional development to ensure all staff have an opportunity to excel in their assigned tasks
• Demonstrated proficiency in adopting and utilizing technology to manage programs and deliver services and information effectively.
• Demonstrated project management and collaboration/team skills.
• Demonstrated capacity to exercise sound judgment and sensitivity in working with students, parents, faculty, staff and other stakeholders
• Demonstrated ability to support a community of diverse perspectives and cultures in an inclusive environment
• Must have excellent interpersonal and communication skills
• Position requires working on campus in South Hadley, MA.
• Commitment to quality customer service for all students and their families
• Ability to handle confidential information and/or issues using discretion and good judgement
• Occasional evening/weekend work and business travel may be required
Preferred Qualifications: • Experience with Ellucian/Colleague
• Experience with TouchNet student billing system
• Experience with PowerFAIDS
• Experience working with data reporting tools
Physical Demands: Light work: Exerting up to 20 pounds of force occasionally, and/or up to 10 pounds of force
frequently, and/or a negligible amount of force constantly to move objects. If the use of arm
and/ or leg control requires exertion of forces greater than that for sedentary work and the
worker sits most of the time, the job is rated as light work.
Employee operates office equipment and computers to perform essential duties and
Working Conditions: The employee is not substantially exposed to adverse environmental conditions (such as in
typical office or administrative work).
This position is campus-based, and will require occasional evening and weekend work
Mount Holyoke College is committed to providing a safe and secure environment, supported by qualified
employees that will allow all of its students, faculty, staff and those associated with them to successfully
carry out the mission of the college. As a condition of employment, the College will conduct appropriate
background checks for all new hires. Mount Holyoke has designated the Office of Human Resources as
the office responsible for ensuring that background checks (CORI, SORI, Credit History, & Driver
Credential) are completed and utilized in the hiring process and Five College Office of Compliance and
Risk Management as the office responsible for facilitating background checks as articulated in this policy.
Special Instructions for Applicants:
Apply online by the application deadline. Application materials must include 1) a cover letter summarizing
interests and qualifications, 2) a complete resume or curriculum vitae, and 3) contact information for 3
Mount Holyoke College is a women’s college that is gender diverse. The College is committed to providing equal access and opportunity in employment and education to all employees and students. In compliance with state and federal law, Mount Holyoke College does not discriminate on the basis of race, ethnicity, color, genetic information, sex, national or ethnic origin, religion, age, physical or mental disability, marital status, sexual orientation, pregnancy, gender identity or expression, ancestry, veteran or military status, or any other legally protected status under federal, state or local law. The College does not discriminate on the basis of gender in the recruitment and admission of students to its graduate program.
Mount Holyoke College is an Equal Opportunity Employer.