Department Summary & Job Purpose:
The Assistant Director of Recreation/Head Sports Performance Coach is a full-time administrative and coaching position within the Department of Physical Education and Athletics. Under the supervision of the Associate Director of Athletics for Facilities, the successful candidate will design and implement strength training and conditioning programs for 13 varsity athletic programs and support the management of recreational offerings.
Core Job Duties and Responsibilities:
The Assistant Director of Recreation/Head Sports Performance Coach is responsible for oversight of recreational programming and establishing and maintaining a strength and conditioning program for all varsity sports teams. Recreation oversight includes coordination, and scheduling of the Lyons Den (varsity strength and conditioning space), Fitness Center, and drop-in class programming as well as supporting the Associate Director of Athletics for Facilities with building coverage throughout the year. Sports Performance Coach responsibilities include establishing training plans and supervising training sessions with the goals of improving athletic performance, reducing athletic injuries, and teaching lifelong fitness and movement skills.
Sports Performance/Strength & Conditioning:
1. Design and implement strength training and conditioning programs in‐season, off‐season, and pre‐season for all varsity athletic programs in a manner that reflects research‐driven practices.
2. Work in cooperation with the athletic training staff in the rehabilitation and strengthening of injured student-athletes.
3. Design and implement policies and procedures for the strength and conditioning program in accordance with the NSCA Strength and Conditioning Professional Standards Guidelines.
4. Conduct an annual needs‐analysis for each sport team in conjunction with the sport coach and athletic training staff at the conclusion of each sport season to determine sports performance needs.
5. Provide oversight for the Lyons Den and complete an annual budgetary proposal for the program that includes routine maintenance, and purchase of new equipment.
1. Provide oversight of the Fitness Center, including hiring, training, scheduling, and evaluation of student staff.
2. Provide oversight of drop-in classes including scheduling, advertisement, and staffing.
3. Complete an annual budgetary proposal for the Fitness Center that includes routine maintenance, purchase of new equipment, and staffing needs.
4. Other duties as assigned.