Position Type: Staff Full-time
Hours per week: 37.5
Weeks per year: 52
Work Schedule: 8:30am-5pm
Department Summary & Job Purpose:
The McCulloch Center for Global Initiatives is the hub and catalyst for comprehensive internationalization at Mount Holyoke. We create and foster educational programming to cultivate knowledgeable leaders and responsible citizens of the global community. The exceptional international diversity of the campus offers a powerful context for building global competence and empowering students to thrive in the diverse and interconnected world of the 21st century.
Core Job Duties and Responsibilities:
- Advises Mount Holyoke College international students, and international scholars on policies and procedures related to non-immigrant visa sponsorship.
- Advises MHC international community on other complex immigration issues including travel, program transfers, extensions, and terminations.
- Processes and maintains appropriate documentation for obtaining J-1, F-1, and H-1B visa status for international students and scholars as needed.
- Ensures adherence to MHC and Federal immigration guidelines for the sponsorship of non-immigrant visas. Research, interpret and apply Federal regulations and policies related to international student, and scholar immigration sponsorship.
- Interface with all relevant governmental agencies, including, but not limited to, the Department of Homeland Security, Department of State, Social Security Administration, Internal Revenue Service, and Department of Transportation, as needed.
- Create, revise and review written communications including informational handouts and letters, and web pages.
- Update and monitor SEVIS RTI to ensure immigration status compliance.
- Attend and participate in professional development activities and meetings of peer international education associations and organizations.
- Maintain skills, knowledge and best practices of regulatory immigration compliance in order to remain current in the law and regulations impacting international students, and scholars.
- Assist with international student pre-orientation in the fall and spring semesters
- Perform other duties as assigned
Qualifications: • Bachelor’s degree required.
• Minimum of one (1) to three (3) years of experience of directly related work experience including working in SEVIS* as a Designated School Official and/or Alternate Responsible Officer, and related immigration advising experience working with international students, scholars and employees.
• Direct experience working with U.S. immigration regulations, particularly F and J and H-1B regulations.
• Demonstrated ability to learn and understand ever-changing complex federal, state, and local regulations.
• Ability to multitask, meet urgent deadlines, and adapt to changing demands and priorities.
• Ability to provide high-level immigration advising in both written and verbal communications.
• Excellent customer service skills interpersonal and written communication skills.
• Excellent organizational, analytical, problem-solving, and decision-making skills.
• Ability to work independently as well as contribute and collaborate effectively as a member of a team.
• Ability to work some weekends, and nights as needed.
Compliance Requirements: U.S. federal regulations pertaining to SEVIS require that an Alternate Responsible Officer (J-1) and Designated School Official (F-1) must be a U.S. citizen or lawful permanent resident
Physical Demands: Sedentary work: Exerting up to 10 pounds of force occasionally and/or negligible amount of force
frequently or constantly to lift, carry, push, pull or otherwise move objects. Sedentary work
involves sitting most of the time. Jobs are sedentary if walking and standing are required only
occasionally and all other sedentary criteria are met.
Working Conditions: The employee is not substantially exposed to adverse environmental conditions (such as in
typical office or administrative work).
Mount Holyoke College is committed to providing a safe and secure environment, supported by qualified
employees that will allow all of its students, faculty, staff and those associated with them to successfully
carry out the mission of the college. As a condition of employment, the College will conduct appropriate
background checks for all new hires. Mount Holyoke has designated the Office of Human Resources as
the office responsible for ensuring that background checks (CORI, SORI, Credit History, & Driver
Credential) are completed and utilized in the hiring process and Five College Office of Compliance and
Risk Management as the office responsible for facilitating background checks as articulated in this policy.
Special Instructions for Applicants:
Apply online by application deadline. Application materials must include 1) a cover letter summarizing
interests and qualifications, 2) a complete resume or curriculum vitae, and 3) contact information for 3
Mount Holyoke College is a women’s college that is gender diverse. The College is committed to providing equal access and opportunity in employment and education to all employees and students. In compliance with state and federal law, Mount Holyoke College does not discriminate on the basis of race, ethnicity, color, genetic information, sex, national or ethnic origin, religion, age, physical or mental disability, marital status, sexual orientation, pregnancy, gender identity or expression, ancestry, veteran or military status, or any other legally protected status under federal, state or local law. The College does not discriminate on the basis of gender in the recruitment and admission of students to its graduate program.
Mount Holyoke College is an Equal Opportunity Employer.