Department Summary & Job Purpose:
Mount Holyoke College’s Library, Information and Technology Services (LITS) Division empowers a diverse and inclusive learning community equipping every person to purposefully engage the world. We connect people with the information, expertise, spaces, and technologies that enhance their work and fuel scholarly endeavor. Mount Holyoke College is part of the Five Colleges, Inc. Consortium along with Amherst College, Hampshire College, Smith College, and the University of Massachusetts Amherst.
The Help Desk Student Supervisor leads a team of student workers (20+), applying broad technical knowledge and proven troubleshooting approaches, to deliver campus technology support with a focus on the user-experience. The Help Desk Student Supervisor supervises student workers, modeling excellence in service delivery, collaboration, teamwork and knowledge sharing. As a key resource for student staff, who primarily work evenings and weekends, the incumbent is responsible for training, team building, performance management and supporting student staff needs and as such, they may be required to respond to student staff issues off-hours.
Reporting to the Manager of Community Technical Support (CTS), the Help Desk Student Supervisor serves as a first point of contact for student staff issues and a trusted technology advisor for the campus.
Each member of Community Technical Support actively promotes the commitment of the College and LITS to diversity, equity, inclusion, and accessibility by engaging a service model that includes ongoing individual and team development in the areas of anti-bias and anti-racism.
Core Job Duties and Responsibilities:
- Technology Support
- Provide direct technology support to users in a multi-channel support environment, including troubleshooting campus technology issues, responding to complex or escalated incidents, documenting status updates and keeping users informed.
- Responsible for incident tracking from receipt through closure.
- Author, update or modify templates, solutions or known issues for inclusion in the internal knowledgebase or online self-help repositories.
- Assist with desktop system preparation and installation.
- Assist with field support, desktop computer and printing installs.
- Keep abreast of current technology trends, tools, and campus needs.
- Student Supervision
- Hire, train, supervise and evaluate student staff.
- Manage student staff scheduling and administer scheduling tools.
- Assist with student staff, budget management, and projections.
- Coordinate and deliver student staff training. Maintain training resources and reference materials.
- Collaborate with subject matter experts to ensure training content and resources are accurate, current, appropriate and effective.
- Other Responsibilities
- Demonstrate and model a commitment to delivering excellence in customer service, with a focus on enabling teaching, learning and college operations. Actively work with colleagues in LITS to create a welcoming, inclusive, accessible, and user-centered environment in which a diverse population of students, faculty, and staff can thrive.
- Champion continuous process improvement efforts. Provide mentoring and coaching to team members and Student Technicians. Coordinate projects and contribute to committees or working groups as needed.
- Ensure compliance with license and regulatory requirements, data security, MHC standards, policies, and procedures as well as professional standards. Maintain privacy and use discretion in execution of work.
- Work collaboratively to plan and achieve LITS Division goals and priorities, participate in College and Five College committees, and engage in other professional activities related to the duties of the position.
- Major seminal college events, which may be held at night, on weekends or holidays, are part of every employee's core responsibilities. Due to specific needs at the beginning of each semester this position will be required to work a shifted schedule in August/September and January/February
- Performs related duties as assigned.
• Associate’s or Bachelor’s degree in an area that relates to Help Desk and technology services or combination of education and relevant Student Supervision/Help Desk/IT support experience.
• 1-3 years of experience delivering technology support services in a diverse technology environment to end users with varying levels of technical competency. Solid understanding of troubleshooting, triage strategies and problem analysis procedures; ability to resolve problems quickly and efficiently.
• Proficiency supporting both Macs and PCs and productivity/academic software (ex. Microsoft Office, Google Suite and Adobe Creative Cloud)
• Strong interpersonal skills; ability to be empathetic, understanding, patient and diplomatic. Demonstrated ability to work effectively with a diverse group of faculty, students, administrators, staff, and others.
• Demonstrated proficiency with written and verbal communications. Ability to convey complex technical information in a way that is consumable to both technical and non-technical audiences.
• Demonstrated ability to function independently, work collaboratively and contribute to the outcomes of a team.
• Ability to maintain confidentiality, use tact and discretion in all interactions.
• Flexibility to accept, manage and incorporate change and the ability to manage multiple tasks and priorities simultaneously and effectively in a fast-paced environment.
• Lifting: Raising objects from a lower to a higher position or moving objects horizontally from position-to-position that weigh up to 45 pounds.
• Perform desk-based computer tasks, typing, using a mouse, using a telephone, and grasp lightly/fine manipulation.
• Walking: Frequently moving about on foot to accomplish tasks, particularly for long distances or moving from one work site or building to another. Crawling: Occasionally moving about on hands and knees or hands and feet.
• Consistent with its obligations under the law, the College will provide reasonable accommodation to any employee with a disability who requires accommodation to perform the essential functions of his or her job.
• Work is primarily performed on-site in an interior environment.
• Frequent travel on campus to departments/buildings or occasional travel to local off-campus locations.
• Occasional remote work may be possible with supervisor approval and in alignment with the current MHC Flexible and Adaptive work program.
Mount Holyoke College is committed to providing a safe and secure environment, supported by qualified employees that will allow all of its students, faculty, staff and those associated with them to successfully carry out the mission of the college. As a condition of employment, the College will conduct appropriate background checks for all new hires. Mount Holyoke has designated the Office of Human Resources as the office responsible for ensuring that background checks (CORI, SORI, Credit History, & Driver Credential) are completed and utilized in the hiring process and Five College Office of Compliance and Risk Management as the office responsible for facilitating background checks as articulated in this policy.
Special Instructions for Applicants:
Apply online; application materials must include:
- A cover letter summarizing interests and qualifications
- A complete resume or curriculum vitae
- Contact information for 3 professional references
Mount Holyoke College is a women’s college that is gender diverse. The College is committed to providing equal access and opportunity in employment and education to all employees and students. In compliance with state and federal law, Mount Holyoke College does not discriminate on the basis of race, ethnicity, color, genetic information, sex, national or ethnic origin, religion, age, physical or mental disability, marital status, sexual orientation, pregnancy, gender identity or expression, ancestry, veteran or military status, or any other legally protected status under federal, state or local law. The College does not discriminate on the basis of gender in the recruitment and admission of students to its graduate program.
Mount Holyoke College is an Equal Opportunity Employer.