Department Summary & Job Purpose:
The Assistant Athletic Trainer/Recreation Coordinator is a full-time professional staff position requiring a non-traditional schedule to meet the needs of student athletes and teams; including nights, weekends, and some holidays; as well as occasional overnight travel throughout the academic year. Under the direction of the Head Athletic Trainer and overseen by the Team Physician, the Assistant Athletic Trainer is responsible for providing direct medical services for injuries and illnesses to student athletes within a 13-sport NCAA division III intercollegiate athletics department. Under the direction of the Assistant Director of Recreation/Head Sports Performance Coach, the Recreation Coordinator is responsible for supporting recreational responsibilities for Mount Holyoke College.
Core Job Duties and Responsibilities:
The duties and responsibilities include, but are not limited to, the following functions:
Assistant Athletic Trainer
• Prevent, evaluate and treat athletic injuries or illnesses including but not limited to concussion management and return to play decision-making.
• Provide game and practice coverage including days, nights, weekend, holiday and travel coverage.
• Maintain appropriate record keeping and documentation through the use of EMR.
• Collaborate with physicians and other allied health professionals to deliver appropriate care and referrals to student-athletes.
• Provide education regarding athletic injuries and illnesses; minimize risk of injury through awareness, education and prevention strategies.
• Assist with the daily operations and maintenance of the athletic training room.
• Assist Head Athletic Trainer with administrative duties as assigned.
• Assist with inventory and ordering of supplies.
• Adhere to the MA state Rules and Regulations Governing the practice of Athletic Training (259 CMR 4.00: Athletic Trainers), NATA Code of Ethics, and BOC Standards of Professional Practice.
• Support the supervision of student workers, including scheduling, approving hours, and hiring in collaboration with the head athletic trainer.
• Aid in the supervision & preceptor responsibilities for athletic training students from CAATE accredited programs.
• Support the Assistant Director of Recreation/Head Sports Performance Coach by providing support for recreational services.
• Support oversight of the Fitness Center, Lyons Den, and drop-in classes, as needed.
• Provide support for club sports programs, as needed, in collaboration with the Assistant Director of Recreation/Head Sports Performance Coach.
• If certified, support the varsity sports teams with sports performance/strength and conditioning services.
• Participate on additional Department and College committees as assigned.
• Other duties as assigned.