Fencing Club Sport Head Coach
Job no: 493620
Work type: Staff Part-time
Location: South Hadley, MA
Categories: Athletics/ Physical Education
Position Type: Staff Part-time
Hours per week: 8-12
Weeks per year: 30
Work Schedule: evenings and some weekends
Department Summary & Job Purpose:
Head Coach of the Mount Holyoke Fencing Club. The head coach is responsible for coaching, safety compliance, and administrative duties in operating a collegiate fencing club. This is a part-time, hourly position.
Core Job Duties and Responsibilities:
- Create plans for and execute regular practices that include sport and weapon specific warm ups, drills, strip time, and stretching.
- Provide adequate and accurate coaching for each weapon at every level demonstrated within the team.
- Work with advanced/experienced fencers to continue to improve their fencing and expand their skill sets.
- Facilitate a competitive environment for more advanced fencers.
- Work with beginning fencers to teach the basics of the sport.
- Work one on one or in small groups with students to improve in specific areas in each weapon.
- Provide adequate and accurate feedback for each student in each weapon.
- Ensure access to adequate safety equipment.
- Involve team leadership in any and all decisions, and adhere to the guidelines, policies, and decisions made by team leadership at all times.
- Attend all practices and competitions and support all team needs during these events.
- Advocate for team members to referees, the bout committee, and opposing coaches during tournaments.
- Work collaboratively with the team in regard to feedback and team culture.
- Assist with competition and travel arrangements and schedules.
- Remain informed on rules, regulations, and policies within fencing. This includes but is not limited to, USFA, USACFC, and NCAA rulebooks.
- Work with the PE department in keeping attendance records and grade entries.
● Minimum of one year of coaching experience at either the collegiate level or at a competitive private club.
● Ability to coach all weapons competently.
● Extensive knowledge of drills and exercises, both weapon and sport specific.
● Evening and weekend availability, as practices are currently 7:30 pm to 9:30 pm from Monday to Thursday.
● Previous experience competing under USFA or an equivalent organization.
All MHC employees are required to demonstrate exemplary ethical conduct and conformance to sport and conference rules and regulations; the duties of the position are to be performed in compliance with all sport, Conference and College rules and regulations; and any rules violations on behalf of themselves or any knowledge of violations within the department are to be reported to the appropriate parties. Annually, all employees must successfully complete MHC and Conference required training.
The coach must have a valid driver’s license and become fleet certified.
Light work: Exerting up to 20 pounds of force occasionally, and/or up to 10 pounds of force frequently, and/or a negligible amount of force constantly to move objects. If the use of arm and/ or leg control requires exertion of forces greater than that for sedentary work and the worker sits most of the time, the job is rated as light work.
- Regular weekend and evening hours are required, as is the ability to travel.
- The coach will work collaboratively with the team regarding practice outlines and competition preparation.
- The coach will report to the Director of Athletics and the Club Sports Coordinator for training and overall team oversight.
Mount Holyoke College is committed to providing a safe and secure environment, supported by qualified employees that will allow all of its students, faculty, staff and those associated with them to successfully carry out the mission of the college. As a condition of employment, the College will conduct appropriate background checks for all new hires. Mount Holyoke has designated the Office of Human Resources as the office responsible for ensuring that background checks (CORI, SORI, Credit History, & Driver Credential) are completed and utilized in the hiring process and Five College Office of Compliance and Risk Management as the office responsible for facilitating background checks as articulated in this policy.
Special Instructions for Applicants:
Apply online; application materials must include:
- A cover letter summarizing interests and qualifications
- A complete resume or curriculum vitae
- Contact information for 3 professional references
Mount Holyoke College is a women’s college that is gender diverse. The College is committed to providing equal access and opportunity in employment and education to all employees and students. In compliance with state and federal law, Mount Holyoke College does not discriminate on the basis of race, ethnicity, color, genetic information, sex, national or ethnic origin, religion, age, physical or mental disability, marital status, sexual orientation, pregnancy, gender identity or expression, ancestry, veteran or military status, or any other legally protected status under federal, state or local law. The College does not discriminate on the basis of gender in the recruitment and admission of students to its graduate program.
Mount Holyoke College is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Advertised: Eastern Daylight Time
Back to search results Apply now Refer a friend