Position Type: Staff Full-time
Hours per week: 37.5
Weeks per year: 52
Work Schedule: Varies, Nights and Weekends
Department Summary & Job Purpose:
The Executive Chef oversees kitchen operations at the Willits-Hallowell Conference Center, ensuring high-quality food production and presentation for on and off-premise catering.
Core Job Duties and Responsibilities:
- Oversees all food production utilizing proper methods of food preparation and portion control
- Hands-on production of catering event orders as needed
- Provides leadership, direction, and supervision of all kitchen personnel
- Responsible for hiring, training, motivating, disciplining, and evaluating all kitchen staff
- Scheduling of staff and adhering to labor cost controls
- Responsible for creative and innovative menu/recipe development and testing with a focus on fresh, local and sustainable foods
- Works with the Director on new menu concepts
- Responsible for costing all menu items and maintaining a computerized recipe database currently Food Pro.
- Purchases food, beverages, supplies, and equipment as needed
- Maintains food cost and inventory control and completes and inputs monthly inventory
- Ensure organization, cleanliness, and proper rotation in all kitchen and storage areas. Completes a monthly sanitation audit with submission to the Director
- Establishes and maintains proper and firm sanitation policies using ServSafe standards, performs monthly sanitation audits, and complies with all state and local laws
- Responsible for maintenance and repair of all kitchen equipment
- Processes payroll and other administrative functions as necessary
- Maintains professional and technical knowledge by attending educational workshops and reviewing professional publications.
- Adheres to all college standards and policies
- Participates in management meetings and holds regular meetings for the kitchen staff
- Any other duties or projects as assigned by the Director
- A strong and diverse culinary background that includes at least five years of kitchen management experience in a high-volume operation. Excellent organizational, communication, and customer service skills are needed. Must be able to develop and motivate a strong culinary team. A working knowledge of personal computer applications, computerized ordering, inventory, and recipe software skills is required. A strong commitment to high-quality food production and presentation and a flexible schedule that includes nights, weekends, and holidays is essential.
- Culinary Degree from an accredited institution of Culinary Arts. Experience working in both a commercial restaurant, hotel or conference center, and a College or University environment is a plus
- ServeSafe and Allergen Certification
- Must be able to lift unaided a minimum of 50lbs
- Able to stand for long periods of time
- Able to lift, bend, stoop and twist
- Generally, works indoors, but some outside locations may require various weather conditions.
- Must be able to work in high-temperature and refrigerated kitchen environments
- Long working days may be required at different times of the year.
Mount Holyoke College is committed to providing a safe and secure environment, supported by qualified employees that will allow all its students, faculty, staff, and associated with them to carry out its mission successfully. The College will conduct appropriate background checks for all new hires as a condition of employment. Mount Holyoke has designated the Office of Human Resources as the office responsible for ensuring that background checks (CORI, SORI, Credit History, & Driver Credential) are completed and utilized in the hiring process and Five College Office of Compliance and Risk Management as the office responsible for facilitating background checks as articulated in this policy.
Special Instructions for Applicants:
Apply online; application materials must include:
- A cover letter summarizing interests and qualifications
- A complete resume or curriculum vitae
- Contact information for 3 professional references
Mount Holyoke College is a women’s college that is gender diverse. The College is committed to providing all employees and students equal access and opportunity in employment and education. In compliance with state and federal law, Mount Holyoke College does not discriminate based on race, ethnicity, color, genetic information, sex, national or ethnic origin, religion, age, physical or mental disability, marital status, sexual orientation, pregnancy, gender identity or expression, ancestry, veteran or military status, or any other legally protected status under federal, state or local law. The College does not discriminate based on gender in recruiting and admitting students to its graduate program.
Mount Holyoke College is an Equal Opportunity Employer.