Position Type: Staff Full-time
Hours per week: 37.5
Weeks per year: 52
Work Schedule: Monday - Friday 8:30 am - 5:00 pm
Department Summary & Job Purpose:
The Human Resources Department is seeking a highly skilled, enthusiastic, and motivated HR Administrative Assistant. The HR Administrative Assistant will support the front office operations and work collaboratively with MHC departments, campus community, and prospective employees and partners in the surrounding communities served by the College. The position will provide administrative support to the Associate Vice President of Human Resources and assist in the areas of Talent Acquisition.
Core Job Duties and Responsibilities:
- Under the supervision of the Talent Manager, the HR Administrative Assistant will facilitate the daily front office operations of the Human Resources Department. The ideal candidate will maintain an efficient and professional HR front office and provide administrative support to the department. The HR Administrative Assistant will maintain the overall knowledge of HR Department processes with the ability to provide information and resources to the campus community and consistently identify process improvements whether small or large. The ideal candidate will perform a variety of complex and specialized functions including but not limited to:
- Assists with various administrative and HR support services, including onboarding record maintenance, and general clerical functions.
- Provide information, guidance and discuss employment opportunities and application procedures with prospective employees.
- Answer, screen, triage incoming calls and inquiries; take messages and direct calls to other departments as appropriate.
- Serve as a resource for staff & faculty searches- provide guidance and instruction on utilizing the application tracking system and processing candidates in the system.
- Assist with the processing of new hires and support search chairs and committee members to ensure compliance with College Policies and with the completion and submittal of appropriate documents for the department.
- Coordinate and schedule pre-employment physicals, background checks and other types of evaluations and assessments as appropriate.
- Maintain staff calendars and schedule meetings as appropriate.
- Create and maintain filing systems, both electronic and physical
- Support HR Department communications and prepare professional-quality electronic and hard copy materials, including letters & spreadsheets, and reports.
- Assist with the purchase of office supplies, department bills and expenses, and payments in accordance to Mount Holyoke’s financial policies and procedures
- Perform other duties as assigned by the AVP of Human Resources and Talent Acquisition Manager.
Qualifications: It is preferred that applicants have two to five years of relevant HR experience, or a combination of education and relevant HR experience.
• Knowledge of online applicant tracking and Human Resources Information systems is required.
• Proficiency in Microsoft Office Suites, Adobe, spreadsheets, creating databases, and using publishing tools is expected. Strong problem-solving and analytical skills are necessary.
• Excellent written and verbal communication skills are essential to effectively convey ideas and information to MHC's diverse audience, including staff, faculty administrators, students, vendors, and visitors.
• Being organized and detail-oriented is a must. The ability to set priorities, seek out answers, generate ideas, and show adaptability, initiative, and resourcefulness in problem-solving is also required.
• In managing sensitive and confidential information and documents relating to employees and students, demonstrating a high degree of tact, discretion, integrity, and confidentiality is crucial.
• Working collaboratively with internal and external constituents from diverse economic, social, multiracial, cultural, ethnic, and language backgrounds is expected.
The ability to work well independently but also as part of a team is also important.
Physical Demands: Sedentary work: Exerting up to 10 pounds of force occasionally and/or negligible amount of force
frequently or constantly to lift, carry, push, pull or otherwise move objects. Sedentary work
involves sitting most of the time. Jobs are sedentary if walking and standing are required only
occasionally and all other sedentary criteria are met.
Working Conditions: The employee is not substantially exposed to adverse environmental conditions (such as in
typical office or administrative work).
Mount Holyoke College is committed to providing a safe and secure environment, supported by qualified employees that will allow all of its students, faculty, staff and those associated with them to successfully carry out the mission of the college. As a condition of employment, the College will conduct appropriate background checks for all new hires. Mount Holyoke has designated the Office of Human Resources as the office responsible for ensuring that background checks (CORI, SORI, Credit History, & Driver Credential) are completed and utilized in the hiring process and Five College Office of Compliance and Risk Management as the office responsible for facilitating background checks as articulated in this policy.
Special Instructions for Applicants:
Apply online; application materials must include:
- A cover letter summarizing interests and qualifications
- A complete resume or curriculum vitae
- Contact information for 3 professional references
Mount Holyoke College is a women’s college that is gender diverse. The College is committed to providing equal access and opportunity in employment and education to all employees and students. In compliance with state and federal law, Mount Holyoke College does not discriminate on the basis of race, ethnicity, color, genetic information, sex, national or ethnic origin, religion, age, physical or mental disability, marital status, sexual orientation, pregnancy, gender identity or expression, ancestry, veteran or military status, or any other legally protected status under federal, state or local law. The College does not discriminate on the basis of gender in the recruitment and admission of students to its graduate program.
Mount Holyoke College is an Equal Opportunity Employer.