Position Type: Staff Full-time
Hours per week: 40
Weeks per year: 52
Work Schedule: Monday through Friday, 9:00 am to 5:30 pm
Department Summary & Job Purpose:
Are you looking to join a team of highly effective and dynamic hospitality professionals? Join Dining Services, where we deliver an exceptional hospitality experience for students, faculty, and staff. Work in an environment where hard work, professional growth, and learning are valued.
Core Job Duties and Responsibilities:
- This position is a hybrid role, with approximately 60% of the weekly schedule dedicated to Menu Coordination and 40% to Marketing efforts for the Hospitality Operations department, which includes residential dining, a small pub, a café, and the Willits Hallowell Conference Center. This position reports to the Assistant Director of Culinary Operations and the AVP for Hospitality Operations. This role is responsible for collaboratively developing, coordinating, and administering all food-related functions, menus, and recipes across the campus for dining services.
- Work with the leadership team to develop monotony breakers, special events, reunions, and commencement.
- Creative thinking around menu development and how to make responsible decisions by minimizing frozen and processed foods and focusing on fresh/local/sustainable foods, with consideration for culinary resources.
- Awareness of current trends, global foods, and departmental financial goals. Responsible for collaboration with the culinary team to develop creative and innovative menu/recipe development and testing.
- Partners with the Assistant Director of Culinary Operations to create new menu concepts. This role will also work collaboratively with the AVP for Hospitality Operations to support developing and implementing a department-wide marketing and communications strategy.
- Responsible for costing all menu items and maintaining a computerized recipe database.
- Maintains professional and technical knowledge by attending educational workshops and reviewing professional publications.
- Adheres to all college standards and policies.
- Participates in team meetings.
- Create nutrition and menu fact labels when necessary
- Add ingredient lists to all warehouse inventory numbers and update as needed
- Maintain nutrient database relative to warehouse inventory and understanding of nutrient analysis
- Meet with students to assist with special diets to explain available dining options.
- Coordinate with staff the dietary needs of student's special diets. Be creative! Not only in menu development but in identifying opportunities to generate excitement around dining and enhance the student experience
- Identify opportunities for revenue generation Creation and management of social media strategy.
- Work creatively to identify new ways for Hospitality Operations to partner with students and the greater MHC community.
- Develop and streamline communication materials across the department and ensure alignment with college brand standards.
- Must be willing to work during special events and participate in campus-wide event operations
- Other duties as assigned
- Well-rounded culinarian background in a college (preferably in a college setting) who is passionate and knowledgeable of food trends.
- A working knowledge of personal computer applications and recipe software programs.
- Knowledge in Google Docs, Sheets, and Publisher.
- Dietician or nutritionist background is a plus
- Understanding of Halal and Kosher dietary laws.
- Understanding of a variety of diets
- Math skills and the understanding of weights and measures
- Food allergy awareness, including Celiac
- Basic understanding of label regulations
Preferred Qualifications: Dietician or nutritionist credentials
- ServSafe Certification
- Allergen Certification
- Repetitive Tasks: Repeat the same physical and mental tasks, clarifying information, directing, asking, and responding to questions. Staring at a screen for multiple hours.
- Motor Skills: Employee is frequently required to stand, walk, sit, stoop, kneel, bend, use hands to type, handle materials, or manipulate tools used in performing the essential functions of the job, and reach with hands and arms. Desk-based computer tasks, typing, using a mouse and telephone, and grasping lightly/fine manipulation.
- Walking: Frequently moving about on foot to accomplish tasks, particularly for long distances or moving from one work site or building to another. Crawling: Occasionally moving about on hands and knees or hands and feet.
- Lifting: Raising objects from a lower to a higher position or moving objects horizontally from position-to-position. This factor is important if it occurs to a considerable degree and requires substantial use of upper extremities and back muscles.
- Speech/Communication Skills: Expressing or exchanging ideas by means of the spoken word. Those activities in which they must convey detailed or important spoken instructions to other workers accurately, loudly, or quickly.
- Visual Acuity: Employee is required to have visual acuity to determine the accuracy, neatness, and thoroughness of the work assigned (i.e., custodial, food services, general labor, etc.) or to make general observations of facilities or structures (i.e., security guard, inspection, etc.)
- Nearly always work indoors. The employee is subject to extreme heat. Temperatures above 100 degrees for periods of more than one hour, occasionally for outside food service.
- Hazardous Conditions: Employee may have contact with chemicals, fumes, and moving mechanical parts.
- Close proximity: Employee works somewhat close to other people, such as when sharing office space.
- Social Interaction: Have high social contact with students and other faculty.
- Floor surface is quarry tile and is non-giving.
- Walking up and down stairs when retrieving product from storerooms and entering and exiting the building.
- Potential hazardous areas of concern:
- Works around slippery surfaces due to spills, dropped foods, trips to dishroom and pot sink to get equipment cleaned.
- Exposure to equipment – uses or works near all of the following to prepare and serve food:
- Work is primarily performed on-site in an interior environment.
- Frequent travel on campus to departments/buildings or occasional travel to local off-campus locations.
- Occasional remote work may be possible with supervisor approval and in alignment with the current MHC Flexible and Adaptive work program.
Mount Holyoke College is committed to providing a safe and secure environment, supported by qualified employees that will allow all of its students, faculty, staff and those associated with them to successfully carry out the mission of the college. As a condition of employment, the College will conduct appropriate background checks for all new hires. Mount Holyoke has designated the Office of Human Resources as the office responsible for ensuring that background checks (CORI, SORI, Credit History, & Driver Credential) are completed and utilized in the hiring process and Five College Office of Compliance and Risk Management as the office responsible for facilitating background checks as articulated in this policy.
Special Instructions for Applicants:
Apply online; application materials must include:
- A cover letter summarizing interests and qualifications
- A complete resume or curriculum vitae
- Contact information for 3 professional references
Mount Holyoke College is a women’s college that is gender diverse. The College is committed to providing equal access and opportunity in employment and education to all employees and students. In compliance with state and federal law, Mount Holyoke College does not discriminate on the basis of race, ethnicity, color, genetic information, sex, national or ethnic origin, religion, age, physical or mental disability, marital status, sexual orientation, pregnancy, gender identity or expression, ancestry, veteran or military status, or any other legally protected status under federal, state or local law. The College does not discriminate on the basis of gender in the recruitment and admission of students to its graduate program.
Mount Holyoke College is an Equal Opportunity Employer.