Position Type: Staff Full-time
Hours per week: 40
Weeks per year: 52
Work Schedule: Monday through Friday, 7:00 a.m. to 3:30 p.m.; at times, with occasional alternate hours and on-call availability as needed.
Department Summary & Job Purpose:
The Facilities Management department supports the administration, faculty, staff, and students in the quality planning and development of facilities projects that support our mission. Our talented staff of approximately 140 FTEs (Cleaning, Mechanical Trades, Central Heating Plant, Grounds, Carpentry, Stockroom, EH&S, Fleet Services, and Mail Services & Duplication) are responsible for more than 2,000,000 SF of property in over 60+ major buildings and for maintaining more than 300 acres.
This position is intended to support the Facilities Management mission of providing well-maintained classrooms, residence halls, and other facilities related to an institution of higher education. This position requires broad skills, including landscape and turf management, snow removal, and athletic field management. This position performs in an institutional/residential setting that requires planning for a “least-disruptive” approach to work, and an appreciation of the unique surroundings and for those who live within it and those in the surrounding community. The seven hundred-plus acres of Mount Holyoke must always reflect our Ivy League institution's historic and iconic beauty.
Core Job Duties and Responsibilities:
- The primary focus of this position is the care of the campus landscape, which includes: 'routine Grounds work', planting, pruning; pest control, campus and athletic field turf maintenance, and snow removal.
- This is a year-round position, and other duties will likely include maintenance of roads, walks, driveways, and other hardscaped areas; floor maintenance, moving materials throughout the campus; and operating and maintaining hand and power equipment.
- As well as any of the other tasks assigned to any of the Skilled Laborer team members.
•General laborer skills/experience.
•Qualified applicants must have 5 years of hands-on experience in the landscape field.
•Must be able to obtain your Genie lift certification and hosting License.
- Knowledgeable about plant material; synthetic turf fields, soil fertility; and grass/turf problems.
- Currently hold one or more of the following; a valid pesticide license, a hoisting license, or a two-year degree in Horticulture or a related field of study (or an equivalent level of knowledge in the field).
- Familiar with the operation of snow plows, loaders, irrigation systems, and chainsaws.
- Knowledgeable in the fields of vehicle maintenance and equipment repair.
- Preferred but not required; the candidate holds one or more of the following active and valid; a pesticide license, a hoisting license, or a two-year degree in Horticulture or a related field of study (or an equivalent level of knowledge in the field).
•Balancing, carrying, pulling/pushing, grasping, repetitive movement, standing, bending, reaching, sitting, twisting and lifting.
•Ability to physically perform manual tasks, climb stairs, lift, climb ladders, and bend.
• Ability to lift (50) pounds unassisted, stoop, or stand for prolonged periods.
•Employee handles a range of hazardous materials, including cleaning chemicals and supplies.
•May have contact with chemicals and fumes, wet or humid conditions, moving mechanical parts, and extreme weather related to heat or cold.
• Must occasionally work in high and precarious places.
•Noise level in some work environments can occasionally be loud.
Mount Holyoke College is committed to providing a safe and secure environment, supported by qualified employees that will allow all of its students, faculty, staff, and those associated with them to successfully carry out the mission of the college. The College will conduct appropriate background checks for all new hires as a condition of employment. Mount Holyoke has designated the Office of Human Resources as the office responsible for ensuring that background checks (CORI, SORI, Credit History, & Driver Credential) are completed and utilized in the hiring process and Five College Office of Compliance and Risk Management as the office responsible for facilitating background checks as articulated in this policy.
Special Instructions for Applicants:
Apply online; application materials must include:
- A cover letter summarizing interests and qualifications
- A complete resume or curriculum vitae
- Contact information for 3 professional references
Mount Holyoke College is a women’s college that is gender diverse. The College is committed to providing all employees and students equal access and opportunity in employment and education. In compliance with state and federal law, Mount Holyoke College does not discriminate based on race, ethnicity, color, genetic information, sex, national or ethnic origin, religion, age, physical or mental disability, marital status, sexual orientation, pregnancy, gender identity or expression, ancestry, veteran or military status, or any other legally protected status under federal, state or local law. The College does not discriminate based on gender in the recruitment and admission of students to its graduate program.
Mount Holyoke College is an Equal Opportunity Employer.