Position Type: Staff Full-time
Hours per week: 37.5
Weeks per year: 52
Work Schedule: Monday through Friday, 8:30 a.m. to 5:00 p.m.
Department Summary & Job Purpose:
Collaborate with communications & marketing colleagues to develop, create, and implement digital and social media content for Mount Holyoke College and its Alumnae Association social media channels. Present the Mount Holyoke brand appropriately and with the goal of extending the College’s reputation and reach via the College’s online visibility. Provide direction, guidance, and support to campus partners who manage and engage in social media activity.
Core Job Duties and Responsibilities:
- Along with the Associate Director of Digital Communications, monitor and maintain all College and social media channels, focusing on but not limited to Instagram, Facebook, TikTok, Twitter, and LinkedIn.
- Coordinate and create social media content; schedule and post to College social media channels; post engaging content tailored to varying audiences and aligned with strategic objectives.
- Help execute the social media content required for communication plans and content strategy, including in support of strategic needs and goals.
- Work closely and collaboratively with the creative team on the creation and execution of guidelines for social media design collateral.
- Assist in collaboration with social media practitioners across the College to successfully implement guidelines and ensure the proper use of protocols when using social media in an official Mount Holyoke College capacity.
- Collaborate with various teams across the College on the social media components of large-scale events (such as Commencement, Reunions, and Orientation) and news and media releases.
- Monitor, pull, and interpret social media analytics to demonstrate the results of content and strategies.
- Social media listening: help raise and summarize emerging issues and trends related to the College for review.
- Maintain up-to-date knowledge of emerging social media trends and platform changes and report new findings.
- Investigate and master new technologies and align their value to college marketing and communications goals.
- Help manage student workers.
- Other duties as assigned.
• Bachelor's Degree
• Demonstrated fluency in social media platforms currently in use, such as Instagram and Instagram Stories, Twitter, YouTube, Facebook, TikTok, and LinkedIn; Canva or Adobe Spark; and all social-support software/systems (HootSuite, Later, etc) as well as the ability and enthusiastic desire to learn new technologies as required.
• 0-3 years experience in social media, communications, marketing, digital media, and/or transferable fields.
• Excellent communication skills with an emphasis on writing and content creation for social media; strong presentation skills.
• Must be able to work within a team as well as execute tasks independently; be highly organized and detail-oriented; be able to think creatively and bring innovative solutions to marketing challenges; be able to multitask; and be able to prioritize tasks and duties in a fast-paced environment quickly.
- Experience in higher education is preferred but not required.
- Bachelor's Degree. Preferably in marketing, communications, English, public relations, journalism, or a related field.
- Sedentary work: Exerting up to 10 pounds of force occasionally and/or a negligible amount of force frequently or constantly to lift, carry, push, pull, or otherwise move objects. Sedentary work involves sitting most of the time. Jobs are sedentary if walking and standing are required only occasionally, and all other sedentary criteria are met.
- Talking: Expressing or exchanging ideas through spoken word. Those activities in which they must convey detailed or important spoken instructions to other workers accurately, loudly, or quickly.
- Sufficient clarity of speech required includes those which permit the employee to discern verbal instructions and communicate effectively in person and by telephone.
- The employee is required to have close visual acuity to perform an activity such as preparing and analyzing data and figures, transcribing, viewing a computer terminal, and extensive reading.
- Employee operates office equipment and computers to perform essential duties and responsibilities.
- The employee is not substantially exposed to adverse environmental conditions (such as in typical office or administrative work).
Protection from weather conditions but not necessarily from temperature changes. Activities occur inside and outside environments.
At Mount Holyoke College, we prioritize the safety and well-being of our community members. To ensure this, we require all new hires, affiliates, and others to undergo comprehensive background checks before joining our institution. Our Office of Human Resources manages and conducts these checks, including screenings for CORI, SORI, credit history, and driver credentials. Additionally, the Five College Office of Compliance and Risk Management works to coordinate and facilitate these checks in accordance with our policies.
Special Instructions for Applicants
Apply online; application materials must include:
- A cover letter summarizing interests and qualifications
- A complete resume or curriculum vitae (CV)
- Contact information for three professional references
Mount Holyoke College is a college that prioritizes gender diversity and welcomes students of all genders. The college is devoted to ensuring that all its employees and students have equal access to opportunities in education and employment. As per state and federal law, Mount Holyoke College does not discriminate against individuals based on their race, ethnicity, color, genetic information, sex, national or ethnic origin, religion, age, physical or mental disability, marital status, sexual orientation, pregnancy, gender identity or expression, ancestry, veteran or military status, or any other legally protected status. Furthermore, the college does not discriminate based on gender when selecting students for its graduate program.
Mount Holyoke College is an Equal Opportunity Employer.