Position Type: Staff Full-time
Hours per week: 40
Weeks per year: 33
Work Schedule: Various Shifts
Salary: $25.94 an hour, plus Full Benefits
Core Job Duties and Responsibilities:
As a Mount Holyoke College Cook, your role will involve collaborating closely with the Chef Manager and/or Lead Cook, Production Manager, Assistant Director of Culinary Operations, and Dining Managers. Your responsibilities entail preparing recipes while consistently prioritizing safe food preparation and handling. It is worth noting that you must closely follow sanitation guidelines and proper receiving and storage procedures. You must adhere to and actively enforce the department and Board of Health's (BOH) rules and regulations.
- Assists fellow cooks in performing fundamental culinary tasks.
- The Cook is responsible for cooking food using various methods such as boiling, roasting, sautéing, steaming, baking, frying, grilling/broiling, and slicing meats, as well as preparing food items to order.
- Ensures all food labels are accurate with correct allergen information and ingredients.
- Available to assist with additional tasks and responsibilities within the department, as required.
- Uses standardized recipes in the preparation of food.
- It may be necessary to work in different areas and time frames within the department to meet business demands.
- Appropriately seasons and garnishes food for service.
- Batch cooks to ensure that food is always freshly prepared and nicely presented.
- Assists in and uses proper procedures for placing, receiving, and storing orders.
- Stores all food properly following proper board of health guidelines.
- Keeps red & green sanitation buckets at the station following proper procedure.
- Maintains clean and orderly work area and keeps utensils and equipment in good working order.
- Assists in taking weekly inventory when needed
- Keeps all work areas clean, debris-free, and always sanitized.
- Responsible for preparing and recording amounts of food as designated by computer production sheets.
- May provide guidance to student workers.
- Filters and cleans Fryolators regularly or as needed.
- Minimize waste by using food trim and leftovers and logging all compost through the Leanpath system.
- It is necessary to be capable of following instructions given by supervisors, managers, and directors.
- Must record daily temperatures of all food items and fill out production records.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
- Applicants must have at least a minimum of 3 years of experience preparing large quantities of food in a high-volume restaurant or another college.
- Applicants should possess strong written and verbal communication skills in English and basic computer proficiency.
- Refrigerates and/or stores all food left at the end of the meal following proper food storage and handling procedures throughout the day.
- To be eligible, the individual must pass a physical examination without any restrictions.
- Must be able to give direction and instruct others.
- Directs student staff and maintains a high level of professionalism.
- Applicants must either hold ServSafe certification or be willing to complete and pass the ServSafe course.
- Must be certified in allergen training.
- Customer Service: Maintains an extraordinarily positive attitude towards others, especially when dealing with students and the public.
- It is necessary to be willing to work collaboratively with others.
- Must maintain a positive attitude.
- Must be neat in appearance and work habits and comply with safety and sanitation regulations as prescribed.
- It is important to adhere to the specific dress code established by the Department.
- Routinely lifts/moves an average of 30 pounds. May occasionally lift 50 pounds 30% to 50% of the time at work (could require bending and twisting).
- This job involves handling pans of product(s), restocking and storing them, and preparing recipes. It may also require lifting cases of products.
- Must have the capacity to carry product(s) for a distance.
- Setting up and replenishing serving lines requires lots of walking/carrying to service lines or storing/retrieving products in refrigerated or dry storage areas, a distance of approximately 25 feet or more. Most shifts span two meal periods.
- Overhead lifting: 10% or more.
- Storing or removing products or equipment from shelves.
- Routinely on your feet throughout an 8-hour shift, (you could also be working alone during part of the shift).
- This job involves walking a distance of approximately 25 feet to service lines.
- The floor surface is quarry tile and is non-giving.
- Retrieving products from storerooms and entering/ exiting the building involves walking up and down stairs.
- Potential hazardous areas of concern:
- Works around slippery surfaces due to spills, dropped foods, and trips to the dish room and pot sink to get equipment cleaned.
- Exposure to equipment – uses or works near all of the following to prepare and serve food:
- Slicing equipment
- Heavy and large pots and pans
- Sharp edges from open cans
- Works around tables with corners
Mount Holyoke College is committed to providing a safe and secure environment supported by qualified employees, allowing all its students, faculty, staff, and associates to carry out its mission successfully. The College will conduct appropriate background checks for all new hires as a condition of employment. Mount Holyoke has designated the Office of Human Resources as the office responsible for ensuring that background checks (CORI, SORI, Credit History, & Driver Credential) are completed and utilized in the hiring process and Five College Office of Compliance and Risk Management as the office responsible for facilitating background checks as articulated in this policy.
Special Instructions for Applicants
Apply online; application materials must include:
- A cover letter summarizing interests and qualifications
- A complete resume or curriculum vitae
- Contact information for 3 professional references
Mount Holyoke College is a women’s college that is gender diverse. The College is committed to providing all employees and students equal access and opportunity in employment and education. In compliance with state and federal law, Mount Holyoke College does not discriminate based on race, ethnicity, color, genetic information, sex, national or ethnic origin, religion, age, physical or mental disability, marital status, sexual orientation, pregnancy, gender identity or expression, ancestry, veteran or military status, or any other legally protected status under federal, state or local law. The College does not discriminate based on gender in recruiting and admitting students to its graduate program.
Mount Holyoke College is an Equal Opportunity Employer.