Job no: 493580
Work type: Staff Summer Temporary
Location: South Hadley, MA
Categories: Athletics/ Physical Education
Position Type: Staff Summer Temporary
Hours per week: 20
Weeks per year: 13
Work Schedule: Weekday afternoons and evenings and as needed for summer conferences
Department Summary & Job Purpose:
As a certified summer lifeguard, the primary responsibility is to maintain a safe swimming environment by enforcing all pool rules and safety regulations for all people in the pool and immediate area of the Kendall pool located on Mount Holyoke College campus during open swim times and conference times during the summer months. Supervise all swimmers in the pool and surrounding pool area at all times to recognize potential safety concerns, act immediately, and respond effectively and appropriately to secure the safety of patrons in the event of an emergency or potential emergency. Provide emergency care and treatment as required until emergency medical Essential services arrive and follow department protocol while remaining calm and alert.
Core Job Duties and Responsibilities:
- As a certified summer lifeguard, the primary responsibility is to maintain a safe swimming environment by enforcing all pool rules and safety regulations for all people in the pool and the immediate area
- Responsible for monitoring and ensuring the safety and supervision of all pool activities
- Supervise all swimmers in the pool and surrounding pool area at all times
- Recognize potential safety concerns, act immediately, and respond effectively and appropriately to secure the safety of patrons in the event of an emergency or potential emergency
- Provide emergency care and treatment as required until the arrival of emergency medical Essential services and follow department protocol while remaining calm and alert
- Assist in pool cleaning and perform various maintenance duties as directed to uphold a clean and safe facility per Management to uphold facility standards
- Monitor chemical levels in pools
- Organize equipment and oversee the safety of the pool area and users
- Perform and complete additional duties and other functions as assigned by management
- Display professionalism, leadership, customer service, and safety at all times
- Maintain a professional and courteous attitude at all times towards co-workers, and internal and external customers, representing Kendall Pool and Mount Holyoke College, its programs, policies, and procedures in a positive and professional manner
- Regular and reliable attendance is expected and required
Qualifications: Must have current Red Cross or YMCA lifeguarding certifications
Preferred Qualifications: Must have current Red Cross or YMCA lifeguarding certifications
License/Certifications: Red Cross or YMCA lifeguarding and CPR for the professional rescuer
Compliance Requirements: Must have current Red Cross or YMCA lifeguarding certifications
- Good physical fitness
- Tread water for 30 seconds (minimum)
- Surface dive to the floor of the pool
- Climb out of the pool unaided without using ladders or steps
- Light work
- Visual acuity
The employee is frequently required to stand; walk and climb or balance. The employee is occasionally required to use hands to finger, handle or feel; reach with hands and arms. The employee must occasionally lift and/or move more than 100 pounds. An interest in swimming and the ability to swim well.
Working Conditions: Working in a warm, humid area. Working in water.
Mount Holyoke College is committed to providing a safe and secure environment, supported by qualified employees that will allow all of its students, faculty, staff and those associated with them to successfully carry out the mission of the college. As a condition of employment, the College will conduct appropriate background checks for all new hires. Mount Holyoke has designated the Office of Human Resources as the office responsible for ensuring that background checks (CORI, SORI, Credit History, & Driver Credential) are completed and utilized in the hiring process and Five College Office of Compliance and Risk Management as the office responsible for facilitating background checks as articulated in this policy.
Special Instructions for Applicants:
Apply online; application materials must include:
- A cover letter summarizing interests and qualifications
- A complete resume or curriculum vitae
- Contact information for 3 professional references
Mount Holyoke College is a women’s college that is gender diverse. The College is committed to providing equal access and opportunity in employment and education to all employees and students. In compliance with state and federal law, Mount Holyoke College does not discriminate on the basis of race, ethnicity, color, genetic information, sex, national or ethnic origin, religion, age, physical or mental disability, marital status, sexual orientation, pregnancy, gender identity or expression, ancestry, veteran or military status, or any other legally protected status under federal, state or local law. The College does not discriminate on the basis of gender in the recruitment and admission of students to its graduate program.
Mount Holyoke College is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Advertised: Eastern Daylight Time
Back to search results Apply now Refer a friend