Job no: 492933
Work type: Staff Full-time
Location: South Hadley, MA
Categories: Dining Services, Skilled Craft/Trade
Position Type: Staff Full-time
Hours per week: 40
Weeks per year: 52
Work Schedule: Day, nights, holidays and weekends as needed
Department Summary & Job Purpose:
● Works under the supervision of the Executive Chef
● Provides general supervision of food production and service for all professional and student staff.
● Assists in the oversight of all aspects of proper and safe food preparation and handling, proper sanitation procedures, proper receiving and storage procedures. Abides by and enforces the rules and regulations of the department and BOH.
Core Job Duties and Responsibilities:
- Assists other cooks with general preparation.
- Assists in preparation of food by any of the following methods, according to directions: Boiling Roasting Sauteing Steaming Baking Or, as instructed Frying Grilling/Broiling
- May carve and slice meats for service and cook food items to order.
- Assists other with other duties as needed by the department.
- Ensures all food labels and menus are accurate with correct allergen information and ingredients.
- Uses standardized recipes in the preparation of food.
- Appropriately seasons and garnishes food for service.
- May be needed to work other areas and other times.
- Assists in and uses proper procedures for placing, receiving, and storing orders.
- Refrigerates and / or stores all food left at the end of the meal following proper food storage and handling procedures throughout the day.
- Batch cooks to ensure that food is always freshly prepared and nicely presented.
- Maintains clean and orderly work area and keeps utensils and equipment clean and in good working order.
- May assists in taking weekly inventory.
- Keeps all work areas clean, free of debris and sanitized at all times.
- Compliant in accuracy of records/system for any future implementation of dining programs
- Responsible for recording and accuracy of Time & Temp logs and service records
- Responsible for preparing and recording amounts of food as designated by computer production sheets.
- Must provide direction for cooks, kitchen assistants, and any student workers.
- Oversees kitchen operation in the absence of the Executive Chef including opening and closing responsibilities
- Filters and cleans fryolators on a regular basis or as needed.
- Stores all food properly at all times following proper board of health guidelines.
- Keeps red & green sanitation buckets at the station following proper procedure.
- Ensures all food labels and menu signage are in place and accurate before each meal.
- Utilized as much food trim and leftovers as possible
- Must record daily temperatures of all food items and fill out any production records
- Must be able to take direction from supervisors, managers and directors.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
Qualifications: ● Must have a minimum of 4 - 5 years’ experience in the preparation of food in quantity.
● Must have good communication skills, both written and orally, with a sound understanding of the English language. Basic computer skills desirable.
● Must be able to pass a physical examination without restrictions.
● Must be able to give direction and instruct others.
● Customer Service: Maintains an extraordinarily positive attitude towards others and especially when dealing with students and the public.
● Must be cooperative and willing to work with others.
● Must be neat in appearance and work habits, and must comply with safety and sanitation regulations as prescribed by law.
● ServSafe certified or willing to take and pass ServSafe course.
● Must be certified in allergen training.
● Must comply with proper dress code as designated by the Department.
● Directs professional and student staff and maintains a high level of professionalism.
Physical Demands: ● Routinely lifts/moves an average of 30 pounds. May occasionally lift 50 pounds.
● Lifting: 30 %– 50 % of time at work (could require bending and twisting).
● Pans of product, replenishing / storing product, preparing recipes (requires lifting cases of product).
● Ability to carry product a distance.
● Setting up, replenishing buffet lines requires lots of walking/carrying to services lines or storing/retrieving product in refrigerated or dry storage areas, the distance of approximately 75 feet or more. Most shifts span 2 meal periods.
● Overhead lifting: 10 % or more.
● Storing or removing product or equipment from shelves.
● Routinely on your feet throughout 8 hour shift (could also be working alone during part or all of a shift).
● Requires lots of walking, a distance of approximately 25-75 feet or more.
● Floor surface is quarry tile and is non-giving.
● Walking up and down stairs when retrieving product from storerooms and entering and exiting the building.
● Works around slippery surfaces due to spills, dropped foods, trips to dish room and pot sink to get equipment cleaned.
● Potential hazardous areas of concern and exposure to equipment – uses or works near all of the following to prepare and serve food:
o Slicing equipment
o Heavy and large pots, pans
o Sharp edges from open cans
o Works around tables with corners
Mount Holyoke College is committed to providing a safe and secure environment, supported by qualified
employees that will allow all of its students, faculty, staff and those associated with them to successfully
carry out the mission of the college. As a condition of employment, the College will conduct appropriate
background checks for all new hires. Mount Holyoke has designated the Office of Human Resources as
the office responsible for ensuring that background checks (CORI, SORI, Credit History, & Driver
Credential) are completed and utilized in the hiring process and Five College Office of Compliance and
Risk Management as the office responsible for facilitating background checks as articulated in this policy.
Special Instructions for Applicants:
Apply online by application deadline. Application materials must include 1) a cover letter summarizing
interests and qualifications, 2) a complete resume or curriculum vitae, and 3) contact information for 3
Mount Holyoke College is a women’s college that is gender diverse. The College is committed to providing equal access and opportunity in employment and education to all employees and students. In compliance with state and federal law, Mount Holyoke College does not discriminate on the basis of race, ethnicity, color, genetic information, sex, national or ethnic origin, religion, age, physical or mental disability, marital status, sexual orientation, pregnancy, gender identity or expression, ancestry, veteran or military status, or any other legally protected status under federal, state or local law. The College does not discriminate on the basis of gender in the recruitment and admission of students to its graduate program.
Mount Holyoke College is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Advertised: Eastern Daylight Time
Back to search results Apply now Refer a friend