Position Type: Staff Full-time
Hours per week: 37.5
Weeks per year: 52
Work Schedule: Monday through Friday
Department Summary & Job Purpose:
The Career Development Center is part of the College’s newly created Division of Student Success at Mount Holyoke College. We help students explore interests, refine their paths, chart a course for the future, and gain the practical experience needed to succeed.
We also facilitate connections between students and employers, alums, and other professionals to create opportunities to engage and build networks.
Mount Holyoke is currently searching for an External Relations Specialist to manage, organize, and carry out the responsibilities of the external relations program of the Career Development Center. This position provides administrative and logistical support for onsite programs and works in close collaboration with the other members of the External Relations team to support a comprehensive employer and alumnae engagement effort. The position is supervised by the Senior Associate Director of External Relations.
Core Job Duties and Responsibilities:
- The Specialist will: -Assist with cultivating and maintaining strong relationships with employers and alumnae to provide internships and career opportunities for students and recent alumnae
- Provide high-quality service and support to employers, alumnae, students, faculty and other constituents (in person, via telephone or through email)
- Coordinate employer and alumnae events (information sessions, on-campus interviews, and other external relations events) and provide on-site staff support during programs -Utilize information systems and calendars for employer communications, career fairs, on-campus recruiting, resume referral, job listing services, resume collections and interviews
- Assist in creating promotional materials and advertising for employer and graduate school information sessions and events
- Maintain accurate records of external relations interactions with employers and alumnae
- Conduct research for specific projects and external relations initiatives
- Check and maintain the general on-campus recruiting email account
- Vet opportunities to ensure the validity and accuracy of employer profiles and job postings
- Assist with researching hiring trends to identify new employment opportunities
- Leverage the on-campus recruitment system to survey/ analyze/ report employer needs, develop employer services, promote services to employers
- Prepare employment opportunity updates for career advisors
- Provide coverage for the main CDC reception desk when needed
- Hire, train, and supervise external relations student staff
- Other duties as assigned
Qualifications: This is a 12-month, full-time position. Qualifications include:
- Excellent written and oral communication skills, customer focus and attention to detail.
- Strong skills in interpersonal communication, relationship development, follow up, contact management, and needs assessment
- Demonstrated skill with managing events, program management, and problem-solving
- Fast learner with strong organizational and time management skills
- Willingness to work a flexible schedule that includes evenings and occasional weekends as needed (particularly heavy weeknight evenings during September/October and February/ March)
- Professional demeanor when interacting with internal and external constituents including employers, students, alums, staff, faculty, and trustees
- Technical proficiency including Excel/mail merge/databases
- Experience working with CRM tools and data management systems; knowledge of Handshake is a plus.
- Commitment to principles of community and diversity, and the ability and desire to effectively and consistently relate to a diverse student population
- A current, valid driver's license
- The External Relations Specialist may occasionally lift and/or move up to 20lbs.
- Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, precise hand-eye coordination, and the ability to identify and distinguish colors.
- While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to sit, use repetitive wrist, hand, and/or finger movement, reach with hands and arms and talk or hear.
- The employee is frequently required to stand and walk. The employee is occasionally required to stoop, kneel, and crouch.
- Standard office setting including a shared photocopier and telephone system
- A private office with a desktop computer with job-related software
- Will be required to work evenings and occasional weekends during the fall and spring recruiting seasons
Mount Holyoke College is committed to providing a safe and secure environment, supported by qualified employees that will allow all of its students, faculty, staff and those associated with them to successfully carry out the mission of the college. As a condition of employment, the College will conduct appropriate background checks for all new hires. Mount Holyoke has designated the Office of Human Resources as the office responsible for ensuring that background checks (CORI, SORI, Credit History, & Driver Credential) are completed and utilized in the hiring process and Five College Office of Compliance and Risk Management as the office responsible for facilitating background checks as articulated in this policy.
Special Instructions for Applicants:
Apply online by application deadline. Application materials must include:
- A cover letter summarizing interests and qualifications
- A complete resume or curriculum vitae
- Contact information for 3 professional references
Mount Holyoke College is a women’s college that is gender diverse. The College is committed to providing equal access and opportunity in employment and education to all employees and students. In compliance with state and federal law, Mount Holyoke College does not discriminate on the basis of race, ethnicity, color, genetic information, sex, national or ethnic origin, religion, age, physical or mental disability, marital status, sexual orientation, pregnancy, gender identity or expression, ancestry, veteran or military status, or any other legally protected status under federal, state or local law. The College does not discriminate on the basis of gender in the recruitment and admission of students to its graduate program.
Mount Holyoke College is an Equal Opportunity Employer.